Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Heaven Here

Revelation 15b-17

“The One on the Throne will pitch his tent there for them: no more hunger, no more thirst, no more scorching heat.  The Lamb on the Throne will shepherd them, will lead them to spring waters of Life.  And God will wipe every last tear from their eyes.”  (MSG)

Admittedly, I haven’t spent a lot of time with the book of Revelation.  John’s visions sound not unlike strange dreams, the kind from which I wake and feel odd for the rest of the day, whose images stick with me for many years because they are so bizarre.  For me, reading the book of Revelation is like sorting through these dreams, trying to find the pieces that make any sense or mean anything.

Currently, one of my devotionals is going through part of Revelation.  As I wade through the winged animals covered in eyes, the scroll and all it unleashes and the thunder and lightning and fire and doom, I try to pick up on what I can take away from it.  Today I found promises tucked into the chaos. 

Revelation 15b-17 succinctly outlines what it means to have everlasting life in Christ Jesus with God the Father in Heaven.  When I move into life with him, I shall never be in want.  All my needs will be met, and my sorrow will end.

What I believe is often overlooked is that one does not need to wait until life here on this earth is over in order to move into everlasting life.  With complete and total surrender to the Way, the Truth and the Life I will find that, indeed, all of my needs are met and my sorrow has ended.  The hard part is complete and total surrender.

In this world, perception is highly skewed.  And with all the distractions and the lessons I learned growing up in this society, it can be difficult to see with the eyes other than those of my own human nature.  Heaven on earth is possible, but it takes work and retraining of my brain in order to see that it can be here now.

The promise – shelter from the storm, endless provision, unconditional love, and joy.  The more time I spend with God, the more possible it becomes.    

God, I ask that you help me to keep my eyes open and to see the work you are doing in my life.  When my eyes fall and begin to scan the things which bring up my human worries, please reach down and close them so I spend a moment in prayer before lifting them back up to you.  Help me to keep my eyes on you, Lord.

Amen!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment