Sunday, August 21, 2011

Can You Hear Me Now?

Matthew 9:14-17

Though only a few verses long, this gospel lesson packs quite a punch if I listen, really listen to what it is saying.

In the bible translation, The Message, there are several times that Jesus asks, "Are you listening to this?  Really listening?" (Matt 13:9, for example)  I feel as though he is likely saying this after every lesson, even if it isn't written.  This is because he knows he has a limited amount of time to get the Good News out to the people and he wants to make sure they get the point.

God is Love & Light.  God is Forgiving.  God wants us to be Happy.

In this lesson, John's followers want to know why Jesus' followers do not fast as they and the Pharisees do.  Jesus resplies that one does not mourn at a wedding, and in The Message, he even says, "This is Kingdom Come!" Matt 9:15b

In an attempt to better understand this (am I really listening?), I have five different translations of the bible sitting open in front of me.  In all of them, John's followers ask about fasting.  In all of them, Jesus asks if wedding guests would mourn or be sad while the groom is still with them.  The New American Bible has a footnote explaining that, "Fasting is a sign of mourning and would be as inappropriate at this time of joy, when Jesus is proclaiming the kingdom, as it would be at a marriage feast."

"Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven." Matt 6:10  "This is Kingdom Come!" Matt 9:15b (MSG)  Am I listening?

I can mourn when Jesus isn't with me.  Which means that I have no need for sadness because Jesus is always with me.  "I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete." John 15:11 (NIV) 

So I shouldn't go moping around and complaining.  I need to put my nose in the Good Book and really listen.  The Kingdom is here - I just need to open my eyes and my heart to see it.

Amen!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment