Thursday, August 25, 2011

I Need to Unplug

Psalm 55:1

Before I opened the bible this morning, my prayer was for God to help keep me from distraction and to bring forth today any job prospects he would like me to investigate.  The first verse in Psalm 55 was certainly the Holy Spirit praying for me: "Open your ears, God, to my prayer; don't pretend you don't hear me knocking.  Come close and whisper your answer.  I really need you."  (MSG)

"...whisper your answer."  Sometimes I wish God would shout, loudly instructing me or reminding me what I should be doing.  If he shouted, I'd be more likely to hear him.  But over and over again, I hear the reference to, "The still, small voice of God."  Which is why I must, "Be still and know that [he is] God." Ps 46:10a (NIV)

If I don't take at least a few moments each day to slow down, to be still, to interrupt the clutter of all the things I am thinking and doing, I can't very well expect to hear God's whisper.

It's easy to get distracted.  I'm so connected, spending all this time online right now job hunting, researching, emailing, blogging, twittering, facebooking, etc, and I'm forgetting to disconnect from the world and connect to God.  To take those moments throughout the day to pray, be quiet, be still and listen.

When I prayed for help not to be distracted, God reminded me that, if I'm knocking, but am not quiet enough to listen for his whisper, I won't know if I am knocking on the right door.  I won't know if I'm still on his path for me, if I'm moving in the right direction.

So today I will be sure to take those moments, to spend time in quiet communion with God.  I will be still, and I will listen for his whisper.

Amen!  :D


**Funny how he works: Whispering Shepherd

No comments:

Post a Comment