Friday, September 2, 2011

Here, Take My Seat

James 1:26 – 2:13; 5:4-6

I am fortunate never to have been homeless or dressed in rags.  Yet I have been subject to different treatment based on my outward appearance.  Whether it was as a teenager with my particular style of dress, or now as an adult just dealing with other adults and their assumptions, it never feels good to be treated differently. 

“Do to others as you would have them do to you.” Luke 6:31 (NIV)  It’s the golden rule.  Even in my public kindergarten class I remember learning it.  “For if you refuse to act kindly, you can hardly expect to be treated kindly.” James 2:13 (MSG)

The town in which I was raised was very much all about appearance and social status.  As far as I knew, the people in my town were mostly upper-middle-class or higher.  And I remember kids at school who weren’t would do anything to make it seem as though they were to avoid the persecution of other students.

What so warped my childhood perception of Christianity was the behavior of the kids at my Catholic elementary school and the members of our church parish.  These were people who would make the homeless person sit at the back, if they let him in at all.  And my peers were mercilessly mean to me and anyone else who didn’t quite fit in. 

I believe that, in conjunction with the heart that God gave me, is the reason why I have compassion for others, and why I always try to be kind, even if I am uncomfortable or I really don’t feel like it. 

So I’m going to keep trying.  To keep making people feel like they are on an even-playing field, that they are no different than the rest of us in spite of what outward appearance may suggest.  After all, we are all made in the image and likeness of God.

And, “He chose the world’s down-and-out as the kingdom’s first citizens, with full rights and privileges.  This kingdom is promised to anyone who loves God.” James 2:5 (MSG)

Amen!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment