Monday, September 12, 2011

Cuffed to God

Deuteronomy 7:7-9

“God wasn’t attracted to you and didn’t choose you because you were big and important – the fact is, there was almost nothing to you.  He did it out of sheer love, keeping the promise he made to your ancestors.  God stepped in mightily and bought you back out of that world of slavery, freed you from the iron grip of...”  Deut 7:7-8 (MSG)

It is not difficult to bring recovery themes out of many, many bible passages and verses.  The end of verse 8 lists Pharaoh as the one with the iron grip, but for those of us here, now, today, Pharaoh is any number of things.  What is it that holds me in slavery?

I spent many years as a slave to my own psychological and mental complications, a slave to being victimized by merciless bullying, a slave to feelings of unworthiness, a slave to mind-altering substances to make me forget about the rest.  Those were my Pharaohs, and darkness was my Egypt. 

Though I was initially raised in the church, at the age of nine I told my mother Jesus didn’t exist and refused to be a part of any religious activity after that for many years.  By that tender young age I already was living in such darkness that I couldn’t believe there was a God who would save me.  I had no evidence to show me he had any plans to bring me out of my slavery.  And things only grew worse over the years.

In Exodus, Moses follows God’s orders and goes back to Egypt to free the Israelites from slavery under Pharaoh.  Likely, many Israelites didn’t really know God – whether they knew of, but didn’t trust him, or had given up on him because of their life circumstances. So Moses comes back on a mission from God, and immediately, things get worse before they get better. 

Then God brings them out of Egypt, freeing them from Pharaoh.  And they proceed to wander around the desert for 40 years because they still don’t get it.  Instead of being slaves to Pharaoh, they become slaves to their desires of the flesh, things such as idol worship, complaining and worrying – oh, how they became slaves to complaining and worrying! 

Thanks to my human nature, I have the inescapable ability of becoming a slave to just about anything.  Money, food, worry, TV, exercise, work, Solitaire on my phone...  What I must strive to do, where I should put my effort, is to become a slave only to God.  I may have other things in my life, but my main focus, my priority, what in my life I serve and let have and iron grip on my life should be God. 

In the books of the New Testament, Paul, James and Jude all describe themselves as slaves to God and Jesus.  Paul even says at the beginning of Romans that he is a devoted slave of Jesus.  Over and over the New Testament authors speak to how God brought us out of darkness so we no longer have to be slaves to things of this world, but can be slaves to God, walking in his love and light and living a good life doing the right things.    

“Know this: God, your God, is God indeed, a God you can depend on.  He keeps his covenant of loyal love with those who love him and observe his commandments.”  Deut 7:9 (MSG)

Amen!  :D

(Unable to find original source for photo credit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment