Sunday, September 11, 2011

Today, I Stop and Think

Psalm 116:115

“When they arrive at the gates of death, God welcomes those who love him.”  (MSG)

I am aware that there are other dates marking great tragedies which have happened in my young lifetime, but none has impacted me because they all seem remote and foreign.  While this morning many Americans have a moment of silence to remember the lives lost on September 11, 2001, I think also of the troops who have given their lives in service to our country since.  I remember and pray for especially my very good friend who is on yet another tour of duty in the Middle East. 

I also think of the citizens of those and other countries, who have suffered unimaginable living conditions and know nothing better.  I think of peoples who have suffered mass genocide at the hands of a murderous dictator.  I think of those who have suffered torture of the most barbaric kind.  I think of those who are forced to flee as refugees into a foreign place where they may not be welcomed.  I think of those who have none of what we as Americans consider our most basic human rights and freedom.

When I stop and think about it, there are many evil awful things that happen in this world.  Which is why I generally don’t stop and think about it.  Yet on this day we pause to remember, I choose to stop and think. 

Today’s verse says at death God will welcome those who love him.  I believe this applies to all people.  Every human on earth may not know the God I know, but we all each are little pieces of God (made in his image!).  God loves every piece of himself, in death we all return to being one with him and he welcomes us all home. 

As we say during the Prayers of the People (form III out of the Book of Common Prayer) at my Episcopal church,

“We praise you for your saints who have entered into joy;
May we also come to share in your heavenly kingdom.

Today, my prayers are with all those who lost loved ones on this day, those who have sacrificed their lives fighting for peace and those who continue to fight in service to our country.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment