Saturday, September 3, 2011

Just Do It

James 2:14-26

“Faith without works is dead.” James 2:26 (NAB)  This is another one of those bits of scripture that I’ve heard over and over.

“Dear friends, do you think you’ll get anywhere in this if you learn all the right words but never do anything?  Isn’t it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense?” James 2:14, 17 (MSG)

As I am going through this period of great spiritual growth, I have to look around and ask myself, “Where are my works?”  God has been calling me to go volunteer somewhere while I have this time without a job, but I have yet to do it.  Though it’s on my list, I tend to forget until I look at my list later in the day when it is too late to call.  Today, however, I will make a call to schedule myself for volunteering somewhere early next week. 

I can’t very well be writing and conversing about all this amazing stuff God is sharing with me, yet spend the majority of my time hanging out in my apartment with myself.  I’m not doing anything.  And I am not solidifying my faith by adding works.  Imagine how much stronger and more on fire I would be if I were out doing something good with a purpose!

In James 2:25, he refers to, “That seamless unity of believing and doing.” (MSG)  It is a unity, and my relationship with God can only be made more fulfilling by completing that unity and getting myself into doing along with my believing.

“For just as a body without a spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.”  James 2:26 (NAB)

I’m gonna get out there and DO.

Amen!  :D

Working with Habitat for Humanity

No comments:

Post a Comment