Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Real Miracle-Gro

James 1:19-25

“In simple humility, let our gardener, God, landscape you with the Word, making a salvation-garden of your life.” James 1:21b (MSG)

I love the imagery in this verse.  All the ways to describe God: Shepherd, Father, Creator, Comforter...  Gardener.  I can see God, knees in the soil, no gloves because he likes to get his hands dirty, gently tending his garden.  He carefully plants seeds, pulls weeds, waters and provides sunlight to his plants.  In the parable of the scattered seed (Mark 4:1-20), Jesus compares believers to planted seeds.  He related the strength of the believer’s dedication and faith to the type of soil in which the seed landed.  The good soil represents the Word of God, and the seeds that land in the good soil and take root will thrive. 

If I take root in God’s Word and let him mold me through what I read in the Good Book, I will have communion with God and my life will have joy.  But I have to be sure I am not merely reading and reflecting on what I read.  If I do not put what I learn into action, I’m not doing God’s will, and I will not have his joy.   

“Those who hear and don’t act are like those who glance in the mirror, walk away, and [immediately forget] who they are, what they look like.” James 1:23-24 (MSG) 

My memory is less than stellar these days.  I need to write everything down.  If I have a meeting, an appointment, lunch with a friend, or anything outside my ‘normal’ routine, I must write it down and stick it on my bathroom mirror or I will forget.  I put some things into the calendar on my phone to alert me if it happens later in the day and I haven’t been by my mirror in awhile.  I also do not retain information well unless I have studied and studied a certain subject or read a book several times. 

So it delights me to no end to find I am remembering more and more verses from the bible – even if I don’t know the book, chapter and verse numbers that go with them.  Between time spent with God’s Word, making notes of particular verses and writing these devotions, the Good Stuff is starting to stick.

I’m getting good instruction and I’m allowing God to landscape me with his Word.  I’m taking root in the good soil and taking it with me when I step away from the Good Book.  The next step is ensuring that I am acting on what I am learning. 

Amen!  :D

I remember my dad making me work in the garden, too.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment